Tuesday 18 February 2014

Natural ability - a misused and misunderstood term?

Had an interesting discussion about the term 'natural ability' (or 'naturally talented/gifted') with a friend of mine, Daniel Rose, after he made a comment regarding his 'natural abilities in systems penetration testing'. Now, I'm not highly educated when it comes to language, but I felt that in this instance, natural ability was the incorrect term to use. Why? Well, I felt that his abilities in pen testing were acquired, that is to say, they weren't an innate or inborn ability, he had to learn them.

"Natural ability: an ability that is inherited"
Source: Princeton dictionary
Consider the Princeton dictionary definition of natural ability which is: 'an ability that is inherited'; I find that definition is as broad as Dwayne Johnsons' shoulders and the Princeton dictionary is just one of several that use the same definition. To some degree I'd say the dictionary definition supports Dans use of the term more so than my suggestion that it was an incorrect use. However, when I think of inheriting something, I think of money, disease or perhaps physical traits from my parents, none of which I have had to work for to acquire.

Here's a CNN news article from a few years back about Shaun White, a world renowned professional snowboarder that seems to have an affinity towards board sports. The article is fittingly entitled: "Shaun White: a natural board talent". After watching Shaun in the 2014 Winter Olympics, there is no doubt he is a magician with a board, performing jaw-dropping tricks like the McTwists, Corkscrews and 1440s that seemingly defy the laws of gravity and physics.

But I wouldn't say that his snowboard abilities are inherited, he had to work for them and work damn hard. He may have acquired his snowboarding abilities much faster than his peers and excelled in comparison because of the environment and influences surrounding him, but he still had to learn to ride a snowboard, to get air, to perform a trick and to push the limits of his abilities.

My thinking ties in with some aspects of this article which was written with some conviction and naturally sparks a larger debate and may put a few noses out of joint in the process. I certainly don't believe natural ability is a myth, just a term that is used in the wrong context?

Perhaps use of the term 'natural ability' is a way of referring to our surroundings and the impact they have on an ability that we have acquired or learnt, rather than an ability or skill that we have seemingly acquired without any knowledge, understanding or practice thereof (aptitude). Perhaps I don't understand the use of language, in particular the English language; either way, it intrigues me, and I'd be interested in hearing more thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment